The Center for Emerging Visual Artists (CFEVA) is proud to announce the application for its new Visual Artist Fellowship is now open. Please review the new guidelines below
Please note each application is reviewed carefully and all applicants are eligible for exhibition, sales, teaching and other opportunities through CFEVA. All professional visual artists are encouraged to apply before January 15, 2013.
The Visual Artist Fellowship is designed to help artists within 100 miles of Philadelphia reach new levels in their artistic and professional practice. Selected artists will receive a stipend and a full range of career support over the two-year Fellowship to ensure the successful realization of a career goal or specific project as defined in the application.
Artists will be asked to demonstrate a vision for the next level of their professional or artistic practice and a clear plan for CFEVA’s proposed role in reaching it. Artists will be selected based on the merit of their artwork, their proven track record in project completion, their vision for the next level in their career and the ability of CFEVA to help them achieve their goals.
We invite all artists to apply with their current needs and ideas regardless of their status of emerging, mid career or established.
Artists will be asked to submit an electronic application before January 15, 2013. Please see the bottom of this page for tips on the application process. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so artists are encouraged to apply early. The application fee is $35. Applications are available at cfeva.slideroom.com.
Finalists Selected for Interviews
In March 2013, ten artists will be selected as Finalists and will participate in an orientation which will inform them of all program benefits, as well as participation requirements if selected for the full Fellowship. At this time, artists may also seek assistance in preparing for individual interviews, which will be conducted in April 2013.
In May 2013, three artists will be selected from the group of Finalists and named as the 2013 Visual Artist Fellows. A full day orientation will take place in June, after which the official Fellowship will begin.
All Visual Artist Fellows will
- Receive mentorship from CFEVA’s Board of Artistic Advisors to help reach stated professional and artistic goals
- Receive consistent guidance from a dedicated CFEVA staff member to facilitate the successful completion of the project or outcome
- Receive a stipend ranging from $1000 - $6000
- Receive support in finding/writing grants and other means of fundraising necessary to produce the selected project or outcome
- Receive promotional support for the project or outcome, including website/technology solutions and press relations
All Finalists and Fellows will
- Become members of The Center for Emerging Visual Artists, receiving a unique profile page on CFEVA’s website
- Become featured participants in the Philadelphia Open Studio Tours for 2013 and 2014 (philaopenstudios.org)
- Receive free admission to the Direct Dialogues Lecture Series
- Gain exposure through CFEVA exhibitions and special projects
- Be eligible for funding through USA Projects (usaprojects.org)
- Complimentary development of a digital portfolio through AgileZoom, a mobile app-based technology (agilezoom.com)
- Complimentary development of an artist website through Heavybubble (heavybubble.com)
To ensure maximum participation in this program, All Finalists and Fellows
- Must live in CFEVA’s service area, which is 100 mile radius of Philadelphia. Please see the application for the specific geographic region.
- May not be enrolled in a full-time academic program (part time classes and continuing education are permitted)
- May not have commercial gallery representation or a contractual relationship with a commercial gallery
- May not be a current or former Career Development Program Fellow
- Must be dedicated to a life as a professional visual artist
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please see below for tips on the application process. Final application deadline is January 15, 2013.
For questions, please review the Frequently Asked Questions below. If you have additional inquiries, please contact Genevieve Coutroubis at Genevieve@cfeva.org.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did CFEVA modify its Fellowship program?
In response to changing economic conditions in the visual arts and an increasing need for financial support to individual artists, CFEVA will restore necessary financial support for individual artists by offering a stipend based Fellowship beginning in 2013. CFEVA’s role as a career development advocate for visual artists remains at the core of our mission, and our Fellowship program will now be even more valuable to the artist community we serve.
What is an example of an appropriate goal or project?
Examples of goals or projects may be the development of a new body of work; a solo exhibition; collaboration with a business, organization or industry; a publication, etc.
How and when are Fellows Selected?
Fellows are selected by our esteemed Board of Artistic Advisors. Selection is based on the merit of your submitted artwork, a proven track record in project completion, your vision for the next level in their career and the ability of CFEVA to help you achieve your goals. Ten Finalists will be notified in March, at which time CFEVA will schedule in-person interviews for April. Based on the results of those interviews, three Fellows will be named in May. Finalists and Fellows will begin program activity in June. All applicants will be notified of CFEVA’s final selection in May. Artists are considered for and accepted into this program regardless of age, educational level, economic status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
What if I live outside Philadelphia?
On average, the non-Philadelphia Fellows should plan on coming to Philadelphia once or twice each month. If transportation is a concern, CFEVA staff can help research affordable options.
What benefits am I eligible for even if I am not selected as a Finalist or Fellow?
CFEVA staff and the Board of Artistic Advisors carefully review each application. All applicants will be added to CFEVA’s database of artists who are considered for exhibition, sales, teaching and other opportunities through our programs.
Tips for Completing The Application in Slideroom
1. After you initially register with Slideroom, you must check your email for an activation email from Slideroom. Once you have received this activation link, you can log in to cfeva.slideroom.com and start your application. You will not be able to start the application until you have received this activation email. If you don’t see this email, please check your spam filter or junk mail.
2. All email addresses can be processed by Slideroom except hotmail addresses (due to hotmail’s security settings). If you need to create an alternate email account, you can create a free Gmail account through Google.
3. Once you start a submission and are filling out our application forms, please note there are two scroll bars. If you cannot click on the next button, it means you must scroll down to complete the page. There will be one scroll bar on the side of your window and there may be an addition black scrollbar beside the questions.
4. When you upload an image, there is a short delay. Please wait until you see the image appear, which confirms that the upload was successful.
5. The system allows you to save your work and return to complete the application if necessary.
6. For technical questions regarding the online application, please use the system Help Desk by clicking Help at the top of your screen once you are logged in. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.